What I'm thinking, where I've been, where I'm going and other random events

Tuesday, June 22, 2004

Settling into HK
I used to say to my boss that my Chinese language skills weren't that good so that he wouldn't have a reason to constantly send me overseas (I guess that worked).
Now though, since I am here, I wish I could speak fluent Mandarin or Cantonese - I want the best of both worlds! - to be able to fit in as an expat, as well as a local. I am starting to speak a bit more mandarin with workmates though, and I guess over a bit of time I'll eventually pick up some useful cantonese.
Played Badminton last night. Sheez when was the last time I played that! Musta been in my uncle's backyard when I was about 7 or 8 years old! And it showed I think hehe, just like tennis or squash, badminton has its own little intricacies that take some skill to get used to. The speed of the shuttlecock is so variable sometimes you are too early to it, sometimes you miss it by a country mile haha. These guys I play with play every Monday night, so I'll keep persisting at it - its good exercise regardless.
Also went to a yoga class today...which was given entirely in cantonese hahaha. That was a bit of a mistake, I had to keep an eye on the instructor all the time coz I wasn't exactly sure when he was moving onto the next pose - I will definitely have to find an english class.


3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha Yeah badminton is harder to play than you think. Glad you're having a good time in HK. :)

Chip

8:13 AM

 
Blogger yui said...

minh's been talking about going to hk for a week and take advantage of free accommodation with ya ass, but getting leave in august is tough.

12:47 PM

 
Blogger Jason said...

Yeah I know, he told me...thats bad luck. Well if things change you know you're welcome at my place :)

11:41 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home