What I'm thinking, where I've been, where I'm going and other random events

Thursday, July 01, 2004

HK Independence Day - July 1

Its been quite good - I think I've done more socially in the last week and a half than I have had in a long time. This is mixed in with trying to get my SIA assignment done for 13 July.
But to firstly explain the title of this entry. Today is 1 July - the day that HK was officially handed over to China by Great Britain. And today is also a public holiday. I'm not really sure what to make of it, doesn't seem like a day of celebration. Rather today there was a big march on HK island protesting for 'Universal Suffrage'. I'm not sure what it means but I think it boils down to giving every HK citizen the right of a 'vote' in how the HK government is selected and run.
Today is also the 2nd public holiday I've had here in 2 weeks. It's like I never left home :). Although the public holidays have actually been my quiet days. Tsuen Wu (?) last week I spent at home resting my body in the hope of getting my sleep pattern back. Today I've spent at home studying for my SIA assignment. Places I HAVE been in the last week and a half have been:
Causeway Bay...Times Square
I met a friend there for dinner last Thursday night - at a really nice Chinese restaurant called 'Water Margin'. There were soo many people....
Prince Edward and Mong Kok
Went to yum cha and strolled through the markets and shops at Mong Kok. There were sooo many people...
Lan Kway Fong
Expat city - lots of bars and restaurants in a small network of streets. There were soo many people...(is there a pattern here?)
Wan Chai - Delaneys
Saw the Australia vs England union match at delaneys - an irish pub in Wan Chai.
Shek O - Black Sheep
Shek O is a small quiet beachside community on the south side of HK island. We had dinner at a tiny 'shack' restaurant called the 'Black Sheep'. It's actually owned by an Aussie. He came out to talk to us -and he looked a little like he'd been smoking pot all day haha. The restaurant was actually broken into 2 small huts. They cook the food in one shack..and run it across the street, down the block to the other shack where we were eating :)

I'm off to do some grocery shopping now...cooked a decent pasta last night - a bit too much ginger in it though. But now I need to stock up my fridge again.

4 Comments:

Blogger yui said...

nice nice

so have you met any hot girls?

9:28 AM

 
Blogger yui said...

nice nice

so have you met any hot girls?

10:46 AM

 
Blogger yui said...

update!

1:05 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oi!
oh the blogs u can find when u click thru the links on everyone else's blogs these days.
how u doing mate!? didn't know u had a blog. didn't know u were in honkers. u oughta catch up with mich there.
am still in saigon, but hoping to go home soon if they let me. will remember to check in every so often to see what ur up to.
di

6:27 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home