What I'm thinking, where I've been, where I'm going and other random events

Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Amazing .... from first day in HK to (second) last day in HK. Only one more sleep before going back to Sydney.
I purposely don't say 'home' because in some ways it almost doesn't feel like it - when you travel around alot - you have a more 'flexible' concept of what you call home. But I'm sure I feel this way because I am a bit apprehensive about what it will be like returning. Perhaps its better to describe it as I'm returning to somewhere where I can be myself and be relaxed again.
Alots happened in my time here - (almost 6 months) and most people close to me know why I am returning home prematurely. Of course its because I've left my job. I hate saying the word 'resign'. From my experiences here in HK I come to realise that I suffer from a form of separation anxiety. Whenever I have to break ties with something which has had a big impact on my life - I invariably go through the merry-go-round of should-I? shouldn't-I? And it makes it into all a bit much of a traumatic experience all in all. However I've had to go through this experience a few times here, and I think I'm a better person for it.
A summary of some of the things I will take from HK
- Next time I'm stuck in a new years eve crowd, I'll just think back to Mongkok on a saturday afternoon - and it'll feel like I'm roaming free in a wild open field.
- As they say in the song - 'breaking up is hard to do'. But I will learn from the experience and be better for it.
- Being happy is about finding that balance. I will only be content at work when my personal and social life is fulfilling.
- Sometimes you have to let things go. Letting work drain your mental and emotional energy is not worth it.
- Alot of imitation clothing and dodgy dvd's
- Cheap suits and business clothing from G2000
- Stress is bad. Just breath.....and relax.....
- Hearing the words 'one-china policy' too many times in the news
- that if you eat bbq pork and soy chicken continously you WILL get fat
- if you are going to work in HK, make sure you get taxed as a HK employee - 15% flat tax!

I've had some difficult and stressful times while I'v been here - but I'm very lucky for the chance to actually be able to do something like this - most people don't get the opportunity.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back to Sydney JC. Perfect timing too :)

Chip

7:37 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home