What I'm thinking, where I've been, where I'm going and other random events

Monday, April 04, 2005

Times Up, Pens down

I'm going to be so relieved this time next week when I finally complete the final two exams of my graduate diploma in applied procastination and guilt. For the last 5 years I've been on and off studying to be I'm not sure what now.
When I started it. I was a wet behind the ears uni graduate - keen to impress and make a mark in my first job. So it was a good idea to study finance - I was working as a Business Analyst, and honestly, I didn't know what was going on half the time at work.
So I signed up for this degree and got through 2 semesters of it before I realised - I don't want to study now - I want my spare time outside work for myself, not spent studying! So I stopped doing it, which was a good decision I think.
When I started my second job, again keen to impress I picked up the course again. I found it a bit difficult though to actually get to DOING the course this time around - a few times missing exams altogether. One time doing an exam remotely in HK. While it has been a pain at times, doing it has contributed to my apparent success at work thus far.
So fast forward 2.5 years from that point and I'm here studying for my final 2 subjects - Financial Industry Law and Ethics and Property Investment Analysis. I'm not exactly sure which direction my work is going to take over the next year, but I will feel a sense of achievement having completed this.
For anyone interested in pursuing a career in the financial services industry, the Securities Industry offers both undergraduate and post-graduate courses in finance and investment. You can find more information at www.securities.edu.au :)

Oh and favorite song at the moment: Feelgood Inc by Gorillaz and De La Soul

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

a big advocate of procrastination myself, i'm glad you see the light at the end of the tunnel, cos i sure don't.


i'm so lazy.

11:26 PM

 
Blogger Riss said...

well at least you stuck with it and didn't give up half way through. i don't think i could ever go back to studying now, i hated it before and i think i'd struggle even more now. good luck for the exam :)

3:39 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home